27 December 2012

WHO DO YOU THINK IS MORE OPPRESSED? - By Abasiakan Reno

I've had this written down since January 29 2012. I'm not really sure why but I still ask myself this question; who is Really More Oppressed? This is the experience I had during my unplanned and impromptu press interview. Enjoy.

In my wildest dreams would I have thought to ask myself this question but as a psychologist in the making I probably should have.
 So as usual, for the past week or so, I found myself walking to P and M (press and media) office. As I entered I decided to do as I was told earlier and said 'Hi' to everyone before finding a corner to sit. I opened my laptop, my main intention to browse or Skype maybe. I hadn't even connected to the internet when Francine (not real name) entered the office and as usual with all smiles and noise. She said hi to everyone, I tried not to look in her direction cuz I didn't want to famz or anything but as I looked up my eye caught hers and I finally said hi. I probably shouldn't have because that's where my problem began.
I turned back to my laptop trying to connect to the internet again when I heard my name, I looked up and found Francine and Tracy (not real name) looking at me. I thought I was needed to do something. How very wrong I was. I dropped my laptop and walked over to them and I was told to take a sit which I did without a second thought. I didn’t think anything was wrong until I heard Francine tell Tracy and another Exco who sat right by me ‘we need to finalize her interview’.
I was a little shocked cuz I could’ve sworn that was over and done with. I felt somewhat dumb later because I should’ve known everyone would need to see the new member. So I sat looking at them anticipating just a little what this interview would be like and then the question which would knock me off balance, leave me thinking for days, make me realise how stupid I am sometimes and yes of course make me write this was asked; THE GIRL IN THE HIJAB AND THE GIRL IN THE MINI SKIRT WHO IS MORE OPPRESSED?.
My first thought was; WHAT THE HELL?? Someone probably should’ve told me my facial expression showed what I was thinking and that I was staring stupidly at the table. And as usual my heart started beating fast, I really hated being the centre of attraction and I definitely didn’t like being in this position. It always seemed fun watching this happen to other people. The more I thought about the question the more it seemed I didn’t hear the question correctly so I asked that Tracy repeat it unfortunately when I went into what psychologist call INROSPECTION which is the detailed mental examination of your own feelings, thoughts, and motives, I was being laughed at for my one-of-a-kind facial expression. Francine amidst laughter said “When you are asked a question like this please don’t make it so obvious you aren’t sure of what you’re doing”. She was right. Doing that always gives people an advantage over you and you can easily be run over or intimidated. And so I did it again forgetting I was being stared at, anticipating my obvious dumb response. My heart beating even faster now, I asked if the question be repeated once more. Tracy repeated her question and without much thought about my answer I said “The girl in the Hijab” And as I expected even though I dreaded it the next question was asked simultaneously.
“Why?”  And with my simple mind my obvious answer was “Because we are used to a girl in a mini skirt, it’s the trend but a girl in a Hijab seems odd and unattractive”.
Unfortunately this got me into trouble. The Exco beside me gave me a look that not only sent shivers down my spine but made me feel really stupid but I decided to stand me ground, at least what I was saying made little sense. So I thought. Tracy told me not to think of the religious background of things so I went with the girl in the mini skirt. How I wish that ended things. Fortunately my jury experience was interrupted by the Exco’s friend who came to take her away. As she got up to leave she turned to me and said “I’ll like to interview you personally”.
It wasn’t what she said that increased my pulse but the way she looked at me. ‘I really didn’t make a good first impression’ I thought to myself. Francine got up to talk to someone in the office and I was left with Tracy who told me to continue but it took me about 10seconds to recover. I tried once more to back up my decision but it didn’t make any sense anymore and that was when Tracy decided to be kind to me and give me some tips which made me feel even more stupid for not thinking about.
“First thing you should do when answering a question like this” she began “is to define oppression. You shouldn’t be in a hurry to answer the question, ask yourself why both girls are wearing what they are wearing, is it their decision or society’s decision”. Unfortunately she didn’t finish the explanation as she got up to answer someone calling her.
 I sat there still thinking about what she said. It may be possible the girl in the Hijab may have grown up with the mentality that it is right to wear a Hijab and probably an abomination to wear a mini skirt or anything other than a Hijab. There is also a possibility she may not even like what she is wearing. I mean who would want to wear a Hijab under the hot sun. She obviously would be oppressed because people wouldn’t want to look at someone who doesn’t want to be looked at and much attention wouldn’t be given to her. She would definitely not be attended to as fast as someone else would. The girl in the Hijab seems like the best answer right? Wrong. The girl in the mini skirt is as oppressed as the girl in the Hijab. The saying ‘Dress the way you want to be addressed’ explains this reason.
The girl in the mini skirt probably was raised that way and if she goes to a religious society that doesn’t accept such she’ll be badly oppressed. It could be possible that because of certain reasons or even peer pressure could make her decide to wear miniskirts. Just because miniskirts and mini dresses are the trend these days doesn’t exactly make it right to be worn. You hardly see parents dress that way or even approve of their children dressing that way and then the look and attitude they give you when you do dress in that is just plain awkward and sad sometimes. They always make you feel like a leper dressed like that. Elderly people forbid clothes like that and call anyone dressed like that a slut, whore or prostitute. I’m sure you can imagine how bad that can be.
A lot ran through my head that night and by the next morning I still couldn’t stop thinking about it. It really is an important topic of discussion so I ask you WHO DO YOU THINK IS MORE OPPRESSED?

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment