18 August 2013

My Mr. Right must be ambitious — Yemi Alade



Yemi Alade
In her 20s, Afro pop R&B act, Yemi Alade tells how a talent hunt show helped define her career path
 It’s been four years since you kick-started your career officially, why are you yet to release an album?
I do Afro pop R&B and I know it’s mandatory for every good, future oriented artiste to have an album but it is not something you rush into. As I sit here, I have enough songs to go into three albums but I am not rushing into releasing an album until my team and I are very sure that it is time to do so. So far, we have been releasing singles which have and are doing very well. I have about five singles out there—Bamboo, Ghen Ghen Love, Show Me, Uche Face featuring LOS and I also have Faji. By the time we build up that momentum we seek, we can have an album.
 What is the concept behind the video you just released?
The song, ‘Bamboo,’ was produced by the same guy who did Psquare’s ‘Chop My Money.’ The script of the video was a joint effort between me and my team, Effizi. We contributed our personal ideas. Aside human effort that you can’t put a price on, the video cost us some good money.
 When did you realise you wanted to sing?
Music for me started when I won the Peak Talent Show in 2009 and I decided to make a career out of my talent. Before then, I was part of a girl group called Naughty Spices and my act was known as Ginger. We formed the group when I was in secondary school and I knew I had a passion for music. We gained admission into different universities and that marked the end of the group. Winning the Peak Talent Show was a huge platform for me to pursue a career in music.
 How did winning the talent hunt impact on this passion of yours?
I got a development deal that paid for some of the things I wanted to do such as my first single where I featured Eldee in 2010. I was able to do that alongside some other recordings, voice training, regular aerobic classes to mention but a few. For winning, I got N5.2 million and it enabled me to also work with Cobhams.
 You took a break at some point…
Yes I did. I was already a student at the University of Lagos when I won. So I took a break for one year to concentrate on my studies as a final year student. I studied Geography. I wanted to finish with good grades so as not to disappoint my parents at home.  Even at that, I was still into music but the greatest attention was paid to schooling.
 One year is a long time in the life of an artiste, how did you deal with competition that emerged while you were absent?
Since I had already dropped a single before I went on sabbatical, I only continued from where I stopped. I also used the break to undergo some kind of personal discovery, decide what I wanted to do with my music, the kind of music I wanted to do and where I was headed for as an artiste. I was doing shows and recording but not as much as I wanted to since school was yearning for my attention.
 If you did not win the talent hunt, do you think you would still be a musician?
This is an awesome question that is quite difficult to respond to. Truth is, I do not even know or maybe I might just have had music as a hobby and not as a career. I have a personal belief that the show gave me that push .Winning also helped me realise I could make a career out of my talent.
 Did your parents try to prevent you from taking to music?
No, they did not because they saw it coming. While growing up if people asked me what I wanted to be, I never said I wanted to be a musician; rather, I always spoke about how I wanted to be a surgeon, aeronautical engineer or lawyer. I had crazy dreams.
 What challenges do you face as a female artiste?
I look at every challenge as an opportunity to be a better person. Notwithstanding, I would say the biggest challenge is that which tasks you to move even when the going gets tough and also to remain consistent.
 Are there times you felt like quitting?
I have had some doubts and every time this happens, I pray to God to forgive me because this is a talent that was given to me free of charge. There are many of us out there who are talented but here I am building a career. I know the future is always bright because where I am today is not where I was last year.
 Apart from music, is there any other thing you do for a living?
At the moment, no. I have never even applied for a job with my degree.
 Why have you stuck to your real name and not adopt some funky alias?
 Maybe I just love my name a little too much. Without sounding religious, Yemi Alade is a blessed name. I have played with some other names like Ginger and Electra. Maybe I might still consider them along the way but I love to be called Yemi Alade.
 Are you encouraged by the industry you belong to?
I am encouraged for greater things. The future is now and it is brighter than what it is right now, so I am not discouraged.
 What would you consider the highlights of your career?
First of all, winning Peak Talent Show. Last year, I took home three awards but I had four nominations that I was aware of. I got an award in Ondo state where my father hails from. I was really honoured when I got nominated and won that particular award in the female singer of the year category.
 Who are those you look up to in the industry?
I love Omawunmi, Waje and Tiwa Savage for what they are doing right now. They are paving the way for people like us and a lot of people yet to come. However, I don’t see myself fashioning my career after anybody’s. When people ask me to describe myself in one word, I say original because I don’t like photocopy. I am as real as it gets and I do not feel threatened by the growing number of female artistes. I don’t even feel intimidated by the men. It’s a good thing there is an increasing number of talented acts in the female category.
 Would you describe Yemi Alade offstage?
I won’t say I am a laidback person but I love fashion. I might not be the one to go to church all the time but I believe in God. I am a fun-loving girl.
 How do you relax?
My best form of relaxation is at a beach house. I love good food, good company and an awesome movie.
 How do you like to dress?
Your style should make you comfortable, look good and suit your body shape. I like it simple with a bit of elegance and a flash of ruggedness. Growing up, I was a huge fan of tomboyish looks.
 What qualities must your Mr Right possess?
I am in my early 20s and I know this thing changes as you grow older. It’s all about attitude, a good personality, a great sense of humour, he has to be clean, hardworking and ambitious.

No comments:

Post a Comment